Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Coconut Tapioca Pudding

I'm back!  I haven't written in forever and felt like I needed to share this recipe for all the coconut lovers out there.  This recipe is taken from the show Kitchen Boss, with Buddy Valastro...my hero:)  So here goes...

Coconut Tapioca Pudding

Ingredients:
-1/3 cup instant tapioca
-1 13.5 oz can coconut milk (I used the light kind)
-scraped seeds from half a plump vanilla bean (if you're not fancy like that, use a teaspoon vanilla extract like I did)
-1/8 teaspoon salt
-4 tablespoons sugar
-1 large egg yolk, whisked in a bowl
-1/4 cup toasted coconut for garnish (I left this out cuz I don't like it!) (optional)
-sliced banana (optional)
-whipped cream on top (optional)

Directions:

1- Combine the coconut milk, tapioca, vanilla, and salt in a medium saucepan.

  Bring contents to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes.  Stir in the sugar and cook until dissolved.
 
2- Whisk a ladle full of the hot tapioca into the beaten egg yolk.  

Pour mixture back into the pot and cook over low heat, constantly stirring until thick, about 2-3 minutes.

  Remove from heat. 

 Serve warm or cold garnished with banana, toasted coconut, and whipped cream.



So there it is!  Super easy!  I like this recipe because its different from the regular tapioca pudding and its really simple.  It has a tropical twist to it which I think is fun and exciting.  Not to mention coconut milk is super good for you, so it can be a healthy snack!  This is perfect for all the coconut lovers out there!


-Marcy

5 comments: